From the April 1902 issue of The Chautauquan (click on image to enlarge): “The Dominicans have purchased four acres of land near the Catholic University at Washington, and upon it will found an American house of studies.”
The groundbreaking for the new Dominican House of Studies building on Bunker Hill Road (now Michigan Avenue) took place on 23 April 1903, with James Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore, Archbishop Ryan of Philadelphia and Father Lawrence Francis Kearney, O.P., Prior Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph (1897-1909), officiating.
The Dominican House was completed in 1905, acquired a “new wing” in the early 1950s, and a new Dominican theological library and academic center in 2008.
The new building is already fully occupied and will be dedicated at ceremonies scheduled for April of 2009. Renovation of office and additional meeting space for the Pontifical Faculty on the second floor of the 1905 building will continue throughout 2009.