Edward Louis Martin, O.P.
Birth: February 22, 1933
Profession: August 16, 1953
Ordination: June 5, 1959
Died: August 23, 2000
Edward Patrick Martin was born in New York City, the son of the late Edward Patrick and Honora Marie (Parker) Martin. He attended St. Vincent Ferrer Grammar School (1939-47) and LaSalle Academy (1947-50) in that city. He was a pre-ecclesiastical student at Guzman Hall, Providence College, Providence, RI (1950-52). In August 1952 he entered the novitiate of St. Joseph’s Province at St. Stephen Priory, Dover, MA receiving the religious name Louis and made his simple profession there.
Br. Louis studied philosophy at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, KY (1953-54), St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, OH (1954-55) and St. Stephen Priory, Dover, MA (1955-56). He studied theology at the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, DC (1956-60). He was ordained a priest at St. Dominic Church, Washington, DC by Patrick O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington.
Fr. Martin’s first assignments were teaching, first at Aquinas College High School, Columbus, OH (1960-65), then Notre Dame High School, in West Haven, CT (1965-68). In 1968 he became the Province’s Vocation Director. He was elected prior and appointed pastor of Holy Name Priory/Parish in Philadelphia, PA (1969-76). He was a parochial assistant, St. Mary’s, New Haven, CT (1976-77), after which he entered the hospital apostolate at St. Catherine of Siena, NY (1977-78). He was pastor of St. Dominic Church, Washington, DC (1978-81), before returning to the hospital apostolate at St. Catherine’s (1981-82). While Director of the Deserving Poor Boys Priesthood Association (1982-85), he was elected prior and appointed pastor of St. Pius V Priory/Parish in Providence, RI (1985-91). For the next two years he carried out community/provincial assignments at St. Stephen Priory, Dover, MA. He returned to St. Vincent Ferrer Priory, New York City, as Director of the Dominican Friars’ Guilds (1993-97). In 1996 he moved to Sacred Heart Priory, Jersey City while remaining the DFG Director. Failing in health he was moved to Ozanam Hall Queens Nursing Home, Bayside, NY, in 1998 and remained there until his death.
A Mass of Christian Burial was offered at St. Vincent Ferrer Church. The celebrant was Fr. Norman A. Haddad, O.P., Provincial. The homily was preached by Fr. Luke Tancrell, O.P., his classmate. Interment was in the Dominican plot All Soul’s Cemetery, Pleasantville, NY.