Harold Regis Barron, O.P.
Birth: June 21, 1911
Profession: August 16, 1937
Ordination: June 10, 1943
Died: April 23, 2000
Harold Barron was born in New York City to Joseph and Agnes (Reilly) Barron. He attended St. Vincent Ferrer Grammar School (1917-25) and Regis High School (1925-29) in that city.
From 1934-36 he studied at Providence College as a pre-ecclesiastical student for the Order. He entered the novitiate of St. Joseph’s Province at St. Rose, Springfield, Kentucky in 1936 receiving the religious name Regis. A year later he made his simple profession there. From 1937-40 he studied philosophy at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, IL and from 1940-44 theology at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC. He was ordained a priest at this Priory by the Most Reverend Joseph Lemieux, O.P., Bishop of Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Fr. Barron began his priestly ministry at Holy Name parish in Philadelphia, PA (1944-47) and later at St. Catherine of Siena Parish, New York, NY (1947-49). For the rest of his active ministry (1949-92) he was a member of the Eastern Mission Band of the Province. From 1968-92 he served as its director.
In 1943 he began his long relationship with The Dominican Camp in Staatsburg, NY serving as Assistant Director (1943-75) and as Director until it closed in 1986. Upon his retirement from the Mission Band in 1992 he was assigned to St. Vincent Ferrer Priory, New York City. In 1995 due to failing health Fr. Barron was sent to Heritage Hills Nursing Home in Rhode Island. A year later he was transferred to the Province’s Assisted Living Center at St. Dominic Priory, Washington, DC, and later to the skilled care nursing unit at Mohun Hall, St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, OH. Here he died on Easter Sunday.
A Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated in the chapel at Mohun Hall by Fr. Kevin Robb, O.P., Vicar Provincial. The homily was preached by Fr. John Way, O.P. a classmate of Fr. Barron. Interment was in St. Joseph Cemetery, Somerset, OH.