Harvey Bartholomew Schaller, O.P.
Birth: July 7, 1907
Profession: August 16, 1930
Ordination: June 11, 1937
Died: August 13, 1998
George Harvey Schaller was born in New York City the son of Charles and Anna (Hill) Schaller. He attended grammar schools in New York City (Immaculate Conception, St. John Chrysostom); St. Ann, Dorchester, MA; and St. Augustine, Bridgeport, CT. He attended Central High School, Bridgeport, CT and Aquinas High School, Columbus, OH. From 1928-30 he attended Providence College, Providence, RI.
In 1930 Harvey entered the novitiate of St. Joseph Province at St. Rose, Springfield, KY taking the religious name Bartholomew. He studied philosophy at the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, IL and his theological studies at St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, OH and the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, DC. It was in this city at St. Dominic church that he was ordained to the priesthood by Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore, MD.
Fr. Schaller spent his entire priestly career in the parochial ministry. His early parish assignments were at St. Mary’s Church, New Haven, CT; St. Pius V Church, Chicago, IL; St. Louis Bertrand Church, Louisville, KY; and St. Rose Church, Springfield, KY. In 1948 he was assigned as an assistant pastor at St. Andrew’s Church, Cincinnati, OH, where he remained for over thirty years. He served as its pastor from 1968-79. In 1979 he was assigned to St. Gertrude Priory in Madeira, OH where he assisted as a senior priest and in other parishes in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. In June of 1998, due to failing health, he was moved to Mohun Health Care Center at St. Mary of the Springs Dominican Sisters’ Motherhouse in Columbus, OH where he died peacefully in the Lord. He was buried in the Dominican plot at St. Joseph’s cemetery, Somerset, OH.