Alan Augustine Evans, O.P.

Alan Augustine Evans, O.P.

Birth: October 10, 1933

Profession: August 16, 1955

Ordination: June 9, 1961

Died: November 17, 1999

Alan Carl Evans was born in Pittsburgh, PA, to William and Helen (Dominick) Evans. He attended St. George Grammar School (1939-47) and High School (1947-51) in that city. After graduation he worked for the Duquesne Power and Light Company (1951-52). He entered Providence College, Providence, RI as a pre-ecclesiastical student in 1952. In 1954 he entered the novitiate of St. Joseph Province at St. Stephen Priory, Dover, MA receiving the religious name Augustine. The following year he made his simple profession there.

Augustine studied philosophy at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, KY from 1955-56 and St. Stephen Priory, Dover, MA (1956-58).  From 1958 to 1962 he studied theology at the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, DC, where he received a Bachelor of Sacred Theology Degree. He was ordained to the priesthood in that city at St. Dominic Church by Patrick O’Boyle, Archbishop of Washington, DC.

Fr. Evans’ first priestly assignment (1962-63) was as a parochial assistant at St. Mary Church, Johnson City, TN. While there he also ministered at the Newman Center, East Tennessee State. From 1962-63 he was assigned to St. Catherine of Siena Priory, New York City serving as a hospital chaplain. In 1964 he became a foreign missionary in Chimbote, Peru serving first as Pastor of San Jose Obrero Parish (1964-1974) and later as the Director Centro de Education Especial de Chimbote (1970-79). He returned to the United States and was assigned for one year to St. Vincent Ferrer Priory, New York ministering at the Kennedy Center for the Handicapped (1979-80). For two years (1980-82) he was a hospital chaplain in Toledo, OH. He returned to his native Pittsburgh as hospital chaplain at Mercy Hospital (1982-98).

Due to failing health, Fr. Evans was first transferred to the Center for Assisted Living of St. Joseph Province at St. Dominic Priory, Washington, DC. (1999), and then to Mohun Hall at St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, OH, where he died.

Fr. Norman Haddad, Provincial and classmate, was the principle celebrant and homilist at the Mass of Christian Burial. Burial took place at St. Joseph Cemetery, Somerset, OH.