Francis Hyacinth Maguire, O.P.
Born: August 19, 1930
Professed: September 18, 1951
Ordained: June 11, 1957
Died: April 19, 2006
Father Hyacinth Maguire, O.P., was born in East Orange, NJ, to Francis Charles M Maguire and Eleanor Cecilia McGrath. He attended St. Mary’s Grammar School and St. Mary’s High School in Rutherford, NJ, and St. Peter’s College in Jersey City, NJ.
Father entered the Dominican Novitiate at St. Stephen Priory in Dover, MA, in 1950. He made his Simple Profession on Sept.18, 1951 and his Solemn Profession on September 18, 1954. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 11, 1957 at St. Dominic Church in Washington, DC, by the Most Rev. Philip Hannon. He obtained his philosophical and theological degrees from St. Joseph Priory in Somerset, OH, and the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC.
Father Maguire was assigned to St. Vincent Ferrer Priory in Madison Heights, MI, from 1963 to 1966. Father served as parochial vicar at Sacred Heart Church in Jersey City, NJ, from 1966 to 1971 and from 1971 to 1975 at St. Antoninus Church in Newark, NJ. He then served as Apostolic Coordinator at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC, from 1975-1976. From 1977 until 1983 he served as Pastor at St. Dominic Church in Detroit, MI. He then engaged in hospital ministry from 1983 and 1984 at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Washington, DC, and from 1984 to 1989 at St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Toledo, OH. From 1989 to 1992 he served as Chaplain at Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery in Summit, NJ. From 1993 until 2002 Father Maguire was assigned to St. Dominic Priory in Detroit, MI, and returned to hospital ministry at Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI, and then Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI.
In May of 2003, due to failing health, Father Maguire was moved to the Mohun Health Care Center in Columbus, OH. He remained there until his death on April 19, 2006.
V. Rev. Raymond Daley, O.P., was the celebrant at the funeral Mass in Mohun Chapel. Fr. Joseph Cassidy, O.P., was the homilist. Burial followed in St. Joseph Cemetery in Somerset.